Saturday, June 11, 2005

Mount Hymettus - Athens

By the end of the day, i decided to take a walk at the top of Mount Hymettus, just a few km from the center of Athens. I took the path No 10, from the OTE antenne, and moved to the top. After the spot of 880m of altitude the path is rather steep, but the view is breathtaking. After 40 min walk, watching Pallid Swift and House Martins, I reached the top. A Blue Rock Thrush was waiting for me when i saw the huge TV antennae. Moving downwards, having the view of Athens in front of me I saw Black-eared Wheatears and Nothern Wheatears. I started taking the paved road down, where i saw a Vipper and right after a Fox passing by! Of course, when rarities stricke you do not have your digital camera with (Murhphy's Law), but at least I saw them.

The walk took me about 2 hours, from 18:00 to 20:00. I used path No 10, from 600m altitude all the way to the top (alt. 1026m), and walked back to my car from the paved road. The weather was rather windy for birdwatching. The bird list is the following:

Kestrel, Yellow-legged Gull, Pallid Swift, House Martin, Swallow, Black-eared Wheatear, Nothern Wheatear, Blue Rock Thrush, Blackbird, Magpie, Siskin, Goldfinch, House Sparrow

Reptiles: Vipper
Mamals: Fox
Related Posts with Thumbnails